Are you interested in becoming a Foster Parent Volunteer?
How we support our Foster Parents
We want all of our foster parent volunteers to be successful and feel supported in their journey.
- We mentor each of you: Foster parents can ask questions and seek guidance during every part of the process. We will guide you through a successful adoption placement.
- We advertise and share information: Your fosters will have profiles listed on our website, social media and other places and events in order to get information out to people seeking adoption. Our goal is to find each foster a loving forever home.
- We offer education & a community: Educating people on proper small pet care is a large part of our process. There's a large community that is passionate about proper bunny and guinea pig rearing.
- We offer supplies: Initially each foster will take transition hay, food and litter with them to get them settled in. We have a limited amount of loaner supplies available for Foster Parents. Like xpens, litterboxes and playpens for guinea pigs. If you need any loaner supplies let us know in our Virtual Appointment and we can verify items we have available and what you will need.
- We Give Free Monthly Hay - Each foster parent can pick up a 10lb hay box for every bunny and a 5lb hay box per guinea pig foster in your care during the first weekend of the month. We have Organic Locally grown Alfalfa Hay, Timothy Hay and Orchard Grass Hay available. Depending on the age and needs of your fosters we will give you age appropriate hay. Foster Parents provide day to day supplies like Pellet food, Litterbox Supplies, toys and treats.
- We give Foster Parents 50% off all items purchased from our Rabbit Shop - We will include your special Discount Code in your approval email. You can use this code for your 50% discount at checkout when you purchase supplies, treats, toys, Pellet Food, Litter, hay and more at any point during your Foster Volunteer Journey from us.
- We take care of Medical Care - We provide all basic medical care and require a physical with preventative care every 3 months for each adoptee. We arrange emergency medical care.
- We make sure our adoptables are ready for adoption - We only allow our adoptable foster bunnies and guinea pigs to be release to our Foster Parents. This means they have cleared all their adoption assessments, have had all their medical needs met and are stable and/or ready for adoption.
Foster Parent Responsibilities
- You provide clean indoor housing, unlimited fresh water, unlimited access to hay and daily food.
- Ensure your foster has appropriate space, toys, enrichment and care during their stay with you.
- Socialize and love your foster!
- Monitor your foster daily and report any changes in their behavior and health.
- Respond to our weekly progress reports, updates and photos/videos with us and communicate regularly as needed.
- Transport fosters to/from our location and or appointments as needed.
- Work with us to ensure families can meet fosters and/or pick them up. Typically we will arrange for you to bring fosters to us so that families are picking up from our location and not Foster Parent Homes. We prefer to keep personal information about our Foster Parents, including your home address, confidential.
- In case of medical emergency, contact us 24/7 and we will arrange emergency medical care. 3
- Commit to at least 6 months of fostering. The majority of our fosters are adopted within 4 weeks of becoming available.
What do Foster Parents need to foster.
- Loving, safe indoor home that is 10-20 sq. ft.
- Access to unlimited hay - We give hay allotment for each foster every month and you can get additional hay at a 50% discount through the Rabbit Shop.
- Access to unlimited fresh water - using a large heavy ceramic bowl or a water fountain typically advertised for cats.
- Pellet food - We offer 50% off our Custom Pellet Foods for all our Foster Parents. It's a high quality mix of everything essential for either bunny or guinea pig. Pellet food is to be fed based on our recommendations for each foster.
- Offer a cat sized litterbox with wood pellet litter - We offer 50% off all items in our rabbits shop, including high quality litterboxes and litter.
- Bunny Safe toys, treats, enrichment and bedding
- Be active and willing to participate in the adoption process and finding your foster a loving forever home. We do nearly all the hard parts and let our Foster Parents to the nurture & snuggle parts!
When in doubt visit the Rabbit shop! We offer a lot there and everything is yours to keep for future fosters! This is a great way to invest in high quality items at a fraction of the cost of typical pets stores.